American’s have the “Hot Dog”. and South African’s have the “Boerewors Roll”, “Boerie Roll” or “Brown Dog”.
Ingredients: (Makes 8 boerie rolls)
2 large onions
2 cloves of peeled garlic
Sliced mushrooms (add to your liking)
2 tbsps brown sugar
2 tbspns balsamic vinegar (optional)
1kg Boerewors or 8 Sausages
8 hot dog rolls
Your favourite mustard
Coleslaw, pickled cucumber (gherkin) or salad to serve on the side (optional).
– Pan fry or braai (Barbecue) the Boerewors or Sausages
– Thinly slice the onions into rings and separate the rings
– Dice the tomatoes
– Crush or chop the garlic
– Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a frying pan
– Add the onions and garlic into the pan
– Add salt and pepper to taste and fry gently for about 5 minutes
– Add the brown sugar and continue to fry the onions until golden brown and caramelised
– Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 2 minutes
NOTE: make sure that the pan is not too hot as you do not want to burn the onions especially when the sugar is added.
– Slice the rolls and lightly paint with olive oil or butter lightly
– Cut the Boerewors into pieces the same length as the roll
– Add the Boerewors or Sausage into the roll
– Add the onion mix
– Serve the roll on a plate
– Add the coleslaw, pickled cucumber (gherkin) and salad on the side
– Remember the mustard.