This deer (venison) sausage is a simple and tasty recipe to make deer sausage at home in your kitchen, using ingredients that can easily be found in any supermarket.
Deer meat (fat removed) – 50% (500g)
Pork Neck (not lean) – 40% (400g)
Pork Back Fat – 10% (100g)
Sea salt/kosher salt – 12g/kg
Coriander – 2g/kg
Ground Black Pepper – 2g/kg
Sage crushed dried – 0.5g/kg
Crushed garlic – 2 teaspoons/kg
Ice Cold Water – 50ml/kg. Some of the water can be substituted with Brandy or Red Wine
30/32 Caliber hog casings – 1,5m/kg of meat.
- Cut all the meat and fat into small cubes and place in a large mixing dish.
- Measure out the spices according to the weight of the meat and mix the spices together in a bowl
- Crush garlic and add the required amount to the meat mix.
- Add in the spices and mix the meat spices and garlic together until the spice and garlic is mixed evenly through the meat.
- Add the water and mix into the meat until it is absorbed by the meat. This will also help the spices to mix more evenly.
- Mince the mixture using a 6mm plate.
- Use a sausage stuffer or sausage making machine or some other tool to inject the minced meat mix into the casings.
- Twist the casings at 100mm intervals to make link sausages.
I hope that you enjoy the recipe.